Maya Kayren, DVM


~20 years ago~

My heart beat faster and faster as the little girl came into the room. I couldn’t see her face. Her eyes were glued to her brown shoes. Her dress, also brown, seemed not to fit her well. It was a little too small.

Mrs. Jig brought her closer to me. I reached out to her. She stepped back. Mrs. Jig looked at me, asking me to try once more.

I didn’t want to try once more. I didn’t want to scare her. I wanted to give her space.

“Maya, this is Mrs. Kayren. She will take you to her house. Maya, please, look at me while I’m talking to you.”

Maya, the little girl, looked up. I saw tears in her green eyes.

I looked at her. She looked at me. We said nothing. But, I believe our eyes talked to each other. Our eyes said million words.

All of a sudden, she stepped forward. My heart beat even faster.

“Do you have cats?” she asked.

I smiled. I nodded.

“Good. Let’s go to your house. Let’s see if you can be my mother.”


~Today~

There she is, Maya, my daughter. She looks beautiful on her graduation day. She is now Maya Kayren, DVM, my smart adopted daughter.

10 comments:

david santos said...

Helo, Nadiah!
Very good.
Congratulations.

Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom said...

Hi David,

:D Thanks :D

Please come again.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful....

Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom said...

:D Thanks Ran...

Mr. Pride said...

Beautifully presented.

http://shatteredmoonbeams.blogspot.in

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This story is just beautiful. And congratulations :)

MAK said...

hey
great blog

i write stories too

you r more than welcome to visit
laughing-crazy.blogspot.com

Jo said...

Oh my goodness, I absolutely loved this <3
Is it true? I really hope so!
I think that's how you know that you've created something beautiful - people want it to be true.

Anonymous said...

Just WoW!

On reading every story of yours I feel like am talking to myself.